Monday, November 24, 2008

Using Tests for Assessment



A master teacher has me and the other interns grade all tests and assignments, enter the scores into the grade book, and hand them back. The only way the teacher sees a student's work, is if the student approaches the teacher with a question relating to the assignment. This may make the teacher's workload lighter, but how can she know how well the students are doing? I also have a hard time knowing what learning-challenges certain students may have. I know I might be a idealist because I haven't had to grade as much as an experienced teachers, but I think that a teacher should at least take a look at the graded work.

Has anyone else had this experience?

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if there is the expectation that you will share back with her what you are noticing with the work? I agree that you can not look deeply into all work and perhaps some of it is just practice but how then do you choose what to pay closer attention to if you give it back to the student with out looking at it first?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I'm assuming the same thing. I went up grading almost all of the work but after we grade it she has it give it back to her...even if it's a simple writing assignment. Or, maybe if it's not returned to the master teacher that day, they are doing similar assignments or tasks in class time when we are not working in the classroom. I would think they want us to feel like an asset, but they also want to make sure we don't screw up their class!

    ReplyDelete